Kayak lessons are offered for all age groups by our Paddle Canada certified instructors. First time paddlers of all ages start by learning the basics in a safety and controlled environment. Class sizes are limited to allow for personal attention from instructors.
Private lessons can be scheduled for people with special needs or request.
What will I learn?
Instructors will explain and demonstrate the following:
- Kayak equipment selection
- Safety equipment requirements
- Getting in and out of a kayak from a dock
- Launching from a beach
- Forward stroke
- Reverse stroke
- Sweep Stroke
- Draw Stroke
- Kayak control
Basic Rescue Technics:
- Exiting a kayak into the water (wet exit)
- Assisted rescue (helping a friend into a kayak from the water)
As a club member you will have free access to all kayaking equipment during the lesson. A few things for participants to bring are swimwear, towel, water shoes, a lock to secure your valuables in our lockers.
Joined SCC in 2007 and has been kayaking since 2005. Paddle Canada Level 2 certified, Lee spends most weekends on one of the many lakes within a 2 hour driving distance from Sudbury. Lee loves to share his passion for adventure kayaking through teaching at the Club.
Register for a kayak lesson in order to get certified to use the sea kayaks and related equipment at the club.
- Kayak lessons are offered twice weekly
- Duration is approximately 3hrs in length
- Cost of the lesson is $50
- Pre-registration is required
Email firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject: Sea Kayaking Inquiry) to schedule a date!