The Sudbury Canoe Club (SCC) is a volunteer-driven organization located on the west shore of Ramsey Lake at 206 Ramsey Lake Road in Sudbury. The SCC offers programs for beginners up to expert level paddlers, including:
- A summer day camp for youth (6 - 13 yrs)
- An Olympic-style paddling program (Sprint) for youth (13 - 19 yrs)
- Recreational canoeing
- Recreational kayaking
- Stand up paddle boarding
- Wind surfing
- White water paddling and kayak polo games
- Competitive dragon boating
The SCC has many boats for members' use that are available for daily use on Ramsey Lake at no cost. New members are asked to demonstrate a proficiency in using the equipment. If basic skills cannot be demonstrated, a lesson is recommended. Most lessons are free for members.
Members are permitted to bring a guest for a daily fee; members are responsible for their respective guest.
The Sudbury Canoe Club was first established as the Sudbury Boating Club in 1902.
Since its inception, the SCC has helped to produce over 100 competitive paddlers who have medaled at the national and international levels. Most notable were Don Stringer, Louis Loukanovich, John Beedell and Joe Derochier who competed at the 1957 World Championships and the 1956 and 1960 Olympics.
During the 1970's and 1980's, the club evolved to include recreational paddling and wind surfing. In 2000, the club partnered with the Greater City of Sudbury and the Chinese Heritage Association to start the annual Sudbury Dragon Boat Festival.
As part of the Sudbury Fitness Challenge, the club hosts an annual Marathon Canoe Race in June of each year. This race is open to all comers and non-motorized boats.
In 2016, the club partnered with the Sudbury Rowing Club, the Greater City of Sudbury and the Sudbury Dragon Boat Festival to open a new facility - the Northern Water Sports Centre. Each organization maintains its autonomy but shares facility expenses.
2015-2016 Executive Officers
- Athletes and Parents Code of Conduct Policy
- Canoe Kids Refund Policy
- Club Cold Water Policy
- Club PFD Policy
- Coaches & Counsellors Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Criminal Record Check Policy
- Dragon Boat Cold Water Policy
- Ethical Fundraising and Financial Accountability Policy
- Equipment Damage Policy
- Guest Visitor Policy
- Hosting a Club Event Policy
- Policy on Offsite Kayak Usage for Members
- Policy on the Duties of a Section Co-Chair
- Policy on the Duties of the Members of the Board of Directors
- Prevention of Abuse Policy
- Purchase Order Policy
- Sprint Cold Water Policy
- Sprint PFD Policy